Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Turkey

We are cooking up a storm today. We ordered a fresh, free range turkey to cook for our friends Veronica, Kilian and Kevin. Paired with the turkey are cheddar dill scones, fluffy mashed potatoes, lemony brussel sprouts, homemade stuffing and of course, gravy! For dessert Veronica is making a bavarian apple treat...I can't wait. I love it when the house is filled with wonderful smells.

The turkey cooked much quicker than expected - 2 hours! I had to text my friend Vicki to verify this as she is a master at cooking turkey. The thermometre doesn't lie so I crossed my fingers that it would be moist and delicious. (We have since decided that our oven must be hotter than normal). Everything was amazing and I also snuck in a family dinner favourite, orange jello with pineapple chunks...a weird addition to a meal, but always scrumptous.

The bavarian apple treat was AMAZING...large slices of fuji apple dipped in a beer batter, then fried in oil. It was served with ice cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar....we went crazy for these (and so did the babies) and ate at least 4 each. We have decided that this will be the new traditional dessert for turkey dinners - straight up apple pie will never cut it.

I can't believe that I didn't photo-document any of the meal so you will all have to trust that it was beautiful, and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment