Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mike's Birthday dinner


So, Mike has been requesting butter tarts for at least 6 months. I don't know why I had such an aversion to trying to make these, I know you can buy the shells and easily make the filling...but I guess part of me wanted to do it right, from scratch, and have them look rustic and delicious. It scared me. Today was his birthday though, so I thought I would give it a go. I used a recipe I found online which was adapted from the "Best of Bridge" ladies. I didn't have a round cutter as large as directed and thought it wouldn't matter. Turns out it does, in that I made little tiny butter tarts, instead of deep thick butter tarts. I tried 3 different mix-ins - raisins, walnuts (from the Okanagan, Vicki's parents have a tree!), and skor bits. Although they were squat and tiny, they tasted good and I think I have learned enough to make the next batch much better. We put candles on his butter tarts so he could make a wish and he was so pleased with the treat :-)
We also had pizza for dinner, using the new pizza dough recipe from the cookbook "Earth to Table." It has a touch of honey in the dough and is really amazing. When paired with using a stone, the pizza has a crunchy crust and yet is still puffy...so good. I made 2 batches of dough so we could eat leftovers tomorrow. Zack LOVES pizza and Maggie loves pepperoni, so I think they will be pleased during lunch tomorrow. Happy Birthday to my Love.

1 comment:

  1. sounds wonderful, I can contest to the pizza, it is delicious and can't wait to try your butter tarts! Mom

    ReplyDelete