Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cake Pops


I have become a new FB fan of TomKat Studios and Kim, the woman who owns/runs this company, is very good at adding amazing posts to her page. I am inspired for Zack & Maggie's Birthday party, which is next Sunday (yikes!) and wanted to do a test run on a few of these ideas. I made a Paul Frank cake last weekend and had some leftover chocolate cake from carving it to shape. I saved this cake and the leftover buttercream icing to try out 'cake pops.' I finally had some time tonight to put them together. They are SUPER cute, a bit time consuming to make, and taste delicious. Really, how could cake and icing dipped in chocolate taste badly??
So, I started out with the cake, pulsed it to crumbs in the food processor and then added the buttercream to make a sort of pastey mixture (sorry, no photos of the mixture). Then I rolled them into balls of various sizes as I wasn't sure what size would be best. I rolled a bunch of tiny balls because I had the brilliant idea that these little cake balls could border a cake, but then realized at the chocolate dipping portion of the event that it was difficult to cover them in chocolate...too fussy for me.

Anyway, I froze the cake balls for about 20 minutes, then put the sticks into the pops.

I melted some milk chocolate and dipped the cake pops into it...needed a bit of help from the spatula, and then sprinkled them with colourful little sprinkles.


During the drying portion, some fell off their sticks and I hope this was because they were too large and not because this is a common theme of cake pops.

This first batch of cake pops are crude looking compared to those I've seen on the internet, but I am going to keep trying and stay positive.
Look for the blog about Zack & Maggie's Birthday sometime after the 16th to see how the 'real' ones turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment