Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thomas the Train


Surprisingly, this famous little train is tough to freehand on a cake. My friend Grace's son Ryan wanted a Thomas cake for his second birthday. We have known Ryan since he was brand new, and I was so happy to make his cake. I prepped my icing colours ahead of time and thought I could 'bang' out this cake. Turns out Thomas is quite symmetrical and thus it took longer than expected to create him, but I was very happy with the end result. I still am a little dissapointed with my writing in icing, but it is getting better. The cake was chocolate with vanilla buttercream, and we were able to have a piece of cake as we were invited to the party. It was hosted at a local gymnastics studio and it was in the 'toddler' zone. Zack & Maggie had a ton of fun bouncing on the little trampoline, walking on the balance beam, throwing foam squares out of the 'hot tub' and swinging from the rings. Grace and her husband Jasper put out a great spread of food to fill the bellies of the active kids, and then cake was enjoyed by all. It is so special to get to watch your friend's kids grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment